Monday, June 16, 2014

Vamos a la Playa

So much has happened within the last couple of weeks, I don't even know where to begin! For your sake, after that last blog I posted, I'll stick to the most important and interesting things...

Last weekend we took a trip to Cadiz, Spain- a relatively small city in southern Spain. We left Sevilla at 9 am Saturday and got to Cadiz just a couple of hours later. We had tour guides that showed us around the city briefly and took us to the most delicious outdoor market where I had THE freshest sushi on the planet. After our tours, the only things on ours minds was finally getting to the beach. It was beautiful and the weather was perfect. The waves on the other hand- not so much. We stayed on the beach until it was time to get ready for dinner with the UGA en Cadiz group. The dinner was interesting to say the least and I had my first encounter with sardine spine...oops




That night, a group of my friends went out and made a pact to stay up all night in order to watch the sunrise. It was definitely one of the greatest memories I've made so far!

Staying up for 24 hours straight makes people a little crazy...

We spent Sunday laying on the beach catching some rays (maybe too many rays) and headed back to Sevilla at 8 pm. Cadiz was absolutely amazing in every way, but I will have to admit I'm a little biased while writing this because this past weekend we went to Lagos, Portugal and oh.my.gosh....no words for how breathtaking that place was. The people were the nicest I've met so far, the food was delicious, the view was to die for....I think it's safe to say I will definitely be going back to Lagos one day.

We left Sevilla on Friday and took a couple of stops along the way. We first stopped an hour outside of Sevilla to visit a medieval cathedral- the oldest we've seen thus far. We then stopped 30 mins outside of Lagos at Cabo de San Vincente- the most southwestern point of continental Europe that Cristopher Columbus originally thought was the point where the world ended. How cool is that? It was definitely the most beautiful thing we had seen, and a little scary too!


Pictures just don't do it justice

When we arrived in Lagos, we checked into our hotel and headed to the pool to hangout until dinner. We had dinner at a quaint little restaurant near the harbor where, yet again, I ate sardines. At least this time I knew to take the spine out first..



We went out to a bar that night called Three Monkeys and had an absolute blast. I was surprised to see that mostly everyone there spoke English and not Portuguese, but regardless it was a fun night.

Saturday we laid at the pool until we had lunch on the beach at a delicious restaurant that gave us salad FOR ONCE. We all joke about healthy food here because we rarely get salad or any vegetables so when we do...it's truly a blessing. After lunch, everyone bummed it on the beach until we headed back to the hotel to get ready for the night ahead.




We had previously met a couple of girls that were studying in Sevilla from Georgia Southern and they recommended that we go to a burger joint in Portugal called Nah Nah Bah. We decided to take their advice and I must say it was the greatest decision we've ever made. I mean, who doesn't love burgers the size of your head?! See for yourself- 




After dinner, we went out again to Three Monkeys and afterwards to a club called Inside Out which was super fun. We meet a group from Texas that happened to also be studying abroad in Sevilla, small world! A few of my friends and I decided to stay up all night...as if we didn't learn our lesson in Cadiz. The next morning we went out on a party boat and kayaked the Atlantic Ocean, played on a water trampoline, and enjoyed our last few hours in Lagos together. It was a wonderful day




I adore these people and all the experiences we get to share. #BLESSED

-Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment